With the holiday season fast approaching, many will decide to head south of the border. Effective September 23, 2014, the Mexican Government passed a new law that makes auto liability insurance mandatory on all federal highways. Here are some facts to consider before traveling safely in Mexico:
- Your US policy does not cover you in Mexico- Your US coverage stops at the border
- Mexican Law differs from US Law- In Mexico, you are “Guilty” until proven “innocent“
- All vehicle accidents in Mexico are presumed negligent & even criminal acts until proven otherwise
- Any injuries or deaths resulting from vehicle accidents are presumed the responsibility of the drivers
- Mexican law requires that insurance in Mexico MUST be provided by a Mexican Insurance Company
If you have an accident in Mexico, you may spend time in a Mexican jail & your property confiscated unless you have a Mexican Policy to respond for damages.
Even when a US policy offers a “Mexican Extension”, Mexican Authorities will not recognize such policies & will only accept policies issued by Mexican Admitted Companies.
We offer MexiPass Insurance for the protection of Americans in Mexico. Contact our agency at 480-443-1973 today for more information.